Sunday, March 31, 2013

Waiting for weather

Weather, outside of catastrophic events such as hurricanes, was not a big part of my life. I did not make many decisions based on it. I might choose note to go to the beach on a rainy or very cold day, but going to work, or pretty much anything else that I did could be done during any weather. Taking a trip to Key West, for instance, could be planned and followed through. This is not true for sailors. For the past few days several boats in the harbor have been waiting for the right weather to get out of Georgetown... Right now it is blowing about 20kts with higher gusts, making even going to shore a difficult task. The worst part of all this is that the weather window that we had been waiting for is changing a bit on us so we don't really know when we'll leave. When I talk to friends and family about going to my next destination, they almost always ask "so when are you going to be in ?", my answer is usually "I don't know, it could be one week, maybe three!". These answers sound confusing at best, and dismissive at worst... Usually, the next part of the conversation involves me trying (unsuccessfully) to explain that I live by the weather and do not intend to risk boat or crew for the sake of reaching somewhere by some artificial date... Can you imagine how sweet it would be if going to work depended on the weather? "yeah, I'm sorry boss, I'm not going to be able to go to work today... I'll be home just chillin in case there is anything I can do for you from there...". Please note that the same principal does not (should not) apply to going home from work...

No comments:

Post a Comment