Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hanging out with Kokoi at Salt Pond, Long Island

Yesterday morning I got up around 6AM, and started getting the boat ready for our passage to Long Island.  We had partied the night before and we weren't feeling all that great, but we really wanted to take a break from Georgetown and see different stuff.  The forecast was for very light wind from the north, and during the night, I could tell that the wind was quite stronger than forecasted... However, as I worked getting the boat ready, the wind died down to what I had been expecting, so I raised the anchor and got us underway.  We slowly motorsailed through the harbor and went out the cut by Fowl Cay.  As we got closer to Fowl Cay the wind freshened up, I really wanted to reef but I kept putting that off until Lorena got up and out of bed, but there was no telling if/when that would occur.  As we were going out the cut, surrounded be a maze of coral reefs, the wind and waves picked up significantly! Thanks to the discomfort provided by the state of the seas, Lorena finally got up.  The first thing I did was ask her to steer while I put in two reefs in the main, I should have done that while in the harbor, and not in the cut... We were seriously considering turning back but we figured we would make that decision once out of thr cut.  A few minutes later, the wind and seas moderated and we had an excellent sail down to Long Island, which we reached around 3:30PM.

We were glad to see Kokoi peacefully anchored in the harbor, so we anchored nearby.  We have hung out with Kokoi in several harbors and we have always had a great time, yesterday was no different!

We went to Long Island Breeze for happy hour, and afterward to Kokoi for some more drinks. 

Tough life!

No comments:

Post a Comment