Friday, March 1, 2013

Georgetown - mutiny on Seas the Moment

Georgetown is famous in the cruising world as 'chicken harbor', because many sailors chicken out at this point and don't make it any farther, instead, they turn back north, with their dreams shattered, or with some excuse to not do it this season...

I guess I am not immune to this probability as my first mate has recently decided that she will not go any farther with me, she is, however, willing to cruise back to Miami if I'd like.  This has put me in a tough situation, should I find new crew and go forward? Or should I take the easy way out and chicken out at chicken harbor.

I have also decided/realized that going down the the thorny path to the eastern caribbean will be difficult and expensive, so if I do choose to carry on, it will have to be through the windward passage and down to panama, with potential stops at Cuba, Jamaica, Providencia, San Andres, etc.  This route is laden with long passages in the full force of the trades, albeit behind the beam, which should make for some good sailing... The problem with this route though, is that I have not yet grown big enough balls to do this singlehanded, plus, I have no paper charts for this area...

We'll soon see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your sailing, but honestly for selfish reasons I wish you guys were back in Miami...

    ReplyDelete