Sunday, March 24, 2013

Transitioning into a singlehander

Yesterday, we decided that I will continue this trip by myself!  Lorena needs to go to Colombia for some family matters and I will be continuing this little adventure on my own.  It was a tough decision for us but I think it will be a fun challenge.  I will miss her dearly...

I have been preparing for this possibility for a while by doing many of the tasks by myself... Our autopilot has been working well (knock on wood) and I'll have to rely on it a bit more when doing some of the trickier tasks such as reefing while under sail... Most of the other tasks that usually require both of us to be engaged simultaneously will have to be tackled with better preparation or planning (docking, anchoring, cooking under sail, etc).

I must admit that I was a bit concerned about having to singlehand, but then I also know that plenty of people cruise singlehanding without issue, often on boats that are more difficult to handle than Seas the Moment (Catalina 27) which is a pleasure to sail...

As I write this post Seas the Moment is morphing from tiny home to tiny bachelor pad.  My surfboard is in plain view and all the girly things are slowly being packed away...

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Castro you are one crazy human being I can't believe what I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete