Friday, April 19, 2013

Where did my day go?

Where did my day go? I used to wonder what people without jobs did all day, now I think I can answer that myself...

I wake up usually around 8:00AM and check my phone, this means that I check my various email accounts and ongoing text message conversations.  After that, I'll invest some time playing a video game on my phone as well.  Soon thereafter, hunger or thirst will strike, at which point I'll clumsily manage to crawl out of this coffin of a bed called a V-berth.  Depending on my energy level, I will either cook some sort of breakfast, or prepare some cereal.  After I'm done, I'll observe the growing pile of dirty dishes and cringe.  However, I'll usually determine that I'll wash dishes later at a "better time" (as if there was such a thing).  I may spend a few minutes organizing the boat, then I'll gather up all the necessary items for taking a shower and brushing my teeth.  As soon as I'm ready to take a shower, the familiar tingling in my lower abdomen comes knocking to inform me of a late appointment with the restroom.  I'll then put my toothbrush, towel, etc back on the boat and head over to the gas station to use their "head".  I patiently get in line at the gas station until I get to the attendant which I politely ask to open the restroom for me.  Sometimes the restroom will be occupied and I'll have to wait in a light panic for it to be vacated.  I use the restroom while playing video games on my phone and then come back to the boat to get my stuff so I can take my shower.

My showers here consist of standing on the dock in my boardshorts while using a hose to pour water over myself... I like to check out the expression in people's faces while they see me taking a shower on the dock in plain view.

At some point between the restroom and the shower, friends from nearby boats show up to use the internet at the gas station, so after my shower I'll walk up there to determine what to do for the rest of the day.  We chat for a bit and we realize that it is about noon! We usually start to slowly walk towards downtown which is about two good miles west.  On the way there, I'll figure that it must be 5:00PM somewhere, so it might as well be right here! So I'll purchase a cold refreshing Kalik to make the long walk bearable. 

Once we get to downtown, we'll find a public space with some shade and spend some time discussing upcoming passages, cruising plans, the weather, travel, boats, etc.  Hunger will creep in and the conversation will start to focus on hunting down our next meal.  We will walk to different places until we find something suitable, then have lunch.  Later we might end up going to the public library and chill on its fresh and shaded wraparound balcony overlooking downtown Nassau and the harbor.  After a while there, the sun will have dropped significantly, and walking around town becomes more pleasurable.  So we might check out some sights and slowly make our way back to our boats while discussing dinner plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment