Monday, April 8, 2013

Norman's Cay to Nassau

I had dinner on Moonshadow last night, then I went to my rocky boat on the Sandy Point anchorage at Norman's... For those who may not know, Norman's Cay (or at least part of it) used to belong to Carlos Lehder, and it's airstrip was used to bring in tons of you-know-what...
You can read about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Lehder

Anyway, I woke up before sunrise, cooked some scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, spam, etc, pulled the dinghy engine onboard, and weighed anchor under sail... Again, as a purist might... I was ready to do the run to Nassau under sail only.  At some point halfway, the wind dropped, and so did my speed, so I had to start motorsailing at four knots...

After some time, the buildings in Paradise Island started breaching the hazy horizon and I was finally able to see my destination.  I had to swerve around a few coral heads along the Yellow Bank and Middle Ground area, but otherwise, I had the loyal autopilot engaged while I cooked, ate, and read.

I've been reading this book about Colombian drug dealers turned informant and it depicts Colombia's violence so graphically that it almost makes me wonder whether it is a good idea to move back, but I won't ever know unless I try.

I will be in Nassau a few days, and probably won't be updating this blog much until I leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment