Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Seas the Moment is back at home

The Gulfstream crossing was uneventful! It was a boring motorsail in small, but confused, seas... it was, however, light enough to not be uncomfortable.  When we were about 25 miles off the coast, Seas the Moment slowly started raising the Miami Beach buildings out of the horizon... it was an impressive sight to see buildings from South Beach all the way to Hallandale Beach.  We were doing about five knots in a direction 25 - 30 degrees north of were we were pointing!  I felt the stream finally let us go when I was about two or three miles east of Virginia Key's north end.  I changed course and set sail south towards the lighthouse.

As my cruise came to an end, shortly after passing by the Cape Florida lighthouse, dolphins started to swim by us and some even jumped about three feet out of the water!  I felt this was a very appropriate "welcome back" gesture from the sea. I finally made it back to the Coconut Grove Sailing Club shortly thereafter.

Seas the Moment is finally back at the moorings which she has called home for so many years.  Although she looks weighed down from all the cruising gear she has been loyally carrying for the last few months, she finally seems at rest.  During the next few days, I will be removing my personal items, cleaning her up, and offloading any unnecessary cruising gear from her.  She has taken excellent care of us and deserves a good cleaning and scrubbing.  After that is all done, I will be spending time finding her a new owner, hopefully one that will keep her at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club...

It is somewhat ironic that now that my home has found her home, I have been left homeless.  I will be living at my uncle's place for a few days until I can find her a new owner.

I will also be spending time figuring out what to do about income... the cruising world consists off all kinds of people, all of whom dread the thought of having a job.  Cruising is like living in Peter Pan's Neverland where adults are free to do whatever they'd like and have no responsibilities outside of taking care of their vessel and themselves.  I have now traveled back to reality and must figure out how to make the next chapter of my life sustainable... simply living any longer from my savings is unsustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment